Sunday

The History of the Hands

The Hands of Jery B. Taylor

There are so many things in life that challenge us daily.  Camping is perceived as a challenge and it's really not.
I am disappointed that more of us don't do it. I have been unable to write to you for a while because life has challenged me but like life ... Camping is worth it!! 
We're back in the Low Country islands of the Gullah Geechee People (St. Helena S.C).  and this time we are joined by our family. Whom we haven't been camping with for many years. Our first night was a long one! Filled with laughter and joy which lasted into the wee hours of the morning. I am always amazed at the level of relaxation I'm able to achieve while camping. I am generally a bit hyper and tend to keep moving until it's time for me to sleep, but in the woods my body slows down and I find that I can become still and take in all the beauty of my surroundings.
We also enjoyed our visits to Barefoot Farm to purchase our fruits and vegetables and take in the wisdom of the elders.  I was picking out tomatoes, zucchini and peppers for our outdoor dinner that evening when I remarked how hot it was. The elder woman then said, "how lucky we are to feel the heat and still have our mind"... She went on to add that there are those who don't even know it's hot and don't have presence of mind. I think I shall never complain again!
Here in the South Carolina islands there is much to see and do. First the beauty of palm trees and live oaks with their Spanish moss blowing in the warm tropical breeze. With the ocean warm and inviting.  
The sand dunes are filled with loggerhead turtle nests, and are preparing for there journey to the sea.
Long stretches of soft sand, perfect for romantic walks or morning runs if your so inclined. 
And there is the rich Gullah history here and the basket weavers who still use their talent that was passed down to them from the ancestors. We were quite fortunate to have met the talented and noteworthy Jery B. Taylor who's works are featured at the Penn Center Museum
Jery B. Taylor
Her hands hold such historical value one wonders if they have been insured. St. Helena Island is one place everyone of us should visit, and making it a camping excursion is the way to go in my book. So unplug and let your body and soul take in all that these beautiful islands have to offer.




2 comments:

  1. I can't put my finger on exactly what makes camping such a great experience but it surely is. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete